Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Who Stole my Swimsuit?

I am officially back from south of the border. Talk about a whirlwind trip - we saw a good chunk of the city AND got Michelle and Javi married off. Just so you know, Mexican weddings are way more hardcore than ours. And their beds are just harder. But Mexico City is still there and still very beautiful and interesting, and we all had a wonderful time (especially me, as I spent at least half of the trip sleeping and being lazy).

I had last week and this Monday essentially off from training so that I could recover from the grand mess that was Nationals and mentally prepare for the coming year of training. So yesterday was really my first official day of training for Beijing - just a 30 minute training pace run - but I did it! My biggest goal this year is consistency, so every scheduled workout I complete is a big victory. I was off from Playtri duties yesterday, but I did go and coach the youth team over at the GCISD Nat, and then did my run on the beautiful trail in the park by the school. We're havin some perfect fall weather this week, and I enjoyed every minute of that run. I kind of wanted to keep going when it was time to stop, but I refrained.

Last night I coached a UNT swim workout. A helpful tip - don't wear your Uggs to the pool - just because it is cold outside does not mean that the pool will not be humid and sweltering. My poor feet. They got the sauna treatment last night.

But, regardless of ALL this, the thing I was most excited about this week was supposed to happen this morning - I'm joining a Masters swim team! If you know me, you know my skills in the water are less than impressive. Just check my swim split from Nationals. Uh... on the other hand, please don't. Anyways, this is our new plan to get me swimming like a fishie by the time I get to Beijing. I'm pretty sure my workouts will be more effective with a coach yelling at me from the deck. I tend to do better when people are yelling at me.

Anyways, I was up at 5:00 this morning, ready for my first day of practice at 5:30. Got out of bed, gave Chuck a pat on the head, went to grab a swimsuit, and... wait... where are my swimsuits? Not in the drawers. Not in my swim bag. Not in the dirty laundry. Not hanging on the door. How do two swimsuits just disappear??? But they are gone as surely as Brad and Angelina love foreign babies. So of course I do the only logical thing left. I go buy a McDonald's hotcake breakfast, eat the whole thing, and go back to sleep.

I was awakened just a little while ago by Javier knocking on the door, wanting to borrow the bike pump. Now, it's time to get my sleepy butt over to Sports Authority to find a swimsuit so I can make the 11:30 practice. Take 2!

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment: