Monday, February 28, 2011

Who's Got a Case of the Mondays...

Ok, so it is completely understandable that after a super awesome weekend, I should be dragging a bit coming back to work today. It also could have something to do with the amount of drinking that happened on Saturday night.


But I'm getting ahead of myself - so this weekend, Ken came down to Dallas with Jake (his golden retriever) for some quality time with his favorite lady (me). It was a blast. Friday night, we went to the new burger bar in Uptown, Ketchup, and had fancy burgers with creme brulee shakes, and the french fry trio, which included sweet potato fries, zucchini fries, and parmesan fries with truffle oil. It was delicious, and surprisingly inexpensive - especially for Uptown. Saturday morning we had breakfast at Cafe Brazil (one of my favorite Dallas spots), and then spent about two hours at RBM where Ken got new pedals for his road bike, and I (finally) got my heart rate monitor fixed. We wouldn't have been there quite as long, only I kind of lost him about halfway through when he went outside to play on the new bike. After RBM, we took Jake over to the dog park on Mockingbird, where he terrorized all of the proper Dallas pooches and their owners by leaping up on tables and running through lots of mud and puddles. After Jake calmed down, though, everyone fell in love with him, as they always do, and everyone kept telling us what a beautiful dog he was. He is pretty - that's why he gets away with murder. Speaking of which, Chuck was not a huge fan of that particular house guest, as Jake for whatever reason decided that Chuck was a giant lollipop, and basically spent the entire weekend coating him in his doggie drool. Chuck's a lover, not a fighter, and he took it fairly philosophically - though he did throw a few blows when Jake got too crazy. We took a terrific video of the two of them that is hilarious - hopefully we can put it up on facebook or something soon.


Saturday afternoon, we went out for a spin around White Rock - Ken's first official ride on the new bike! He did such an awesome job - his natural athletic ability continues to amaze me. Which is good, because as I told him, I really don't know if I could date a guy who was slower than me. Anyways, we hit the trail right as some serious weather was blowing in, so we had to battle what were at least 30 mph winds at a few points, but he was a total trooper and didn't even complain that his first ride took place in a wind tunnel. Of course, there were still plenty of folks out there braving the weather to get in the weekend ride and/or run.


When we got back to the apartment, we ran into a lady and her golden retriever who were playing fetch in the backyard behind the building adjacent to the trails, and she noticed our bikes and started to talk tri's with us - turns out that she was a client of Ahmed's almost 10 YEARS AGO! Pretty wild - she said that he coached her through her first Ironman, after another coach told her their was not way that she could meet her goal for the race (and she didn't just meet it, she beat it). That's Ahmed for you. Anyways, it turns out that she lives practically next door to me, along with another triathlete who is across the hall, so I officially have some resident training buddies! And her dog (Kona, of course) was one of the sweetest golden retrievers I've ever met - hopefully a good buddy for Jake the next time he comes to visit.


Saturday night we spent with Steve and Renee - wine, dinner with wine, and then more wine is basically how the evening went. They are the best neighbors - we all had dinner together at Rockfish, where they were having half price wine night (I mean, come on, you really can't pass that up), and had a blast talking about anything and everything. Then they came back over to our place afterwards where we opened yet another bottle of wine, and let Jake into the living room with Chuck so that they could entertain everybody. We all work really hard, and the evening was a much needed break and chance to just be silly for all of us. I hope we will get to do it again relatively soon.


But then came Sunday... and, embarrassingly enough, the hangover to end all hangovers. Ken went and got me Starbucks, and stayed until I was up and moving around, but then he had to leave to go home and get some schoolwork done, and I had to go model some Playtri apparel for our new website. Yes, that's right friends - I am officially a fashion model. Playtri fashion, that is. The picture on the right is one of the snaps they took while they were setting up the lighting. The focus was, obviously, on the apparel, but I'm hoping to get a few really good shots for myself to use for wooing potential sponsors. If you are reading this as a potential sponsor... don't I look pretty in spandex?
We had a lot of fun at the "shoot," with Ali watching Nick Jr. in the background, and Mary and Jim rigging up all kinds of creative tri pods from various objects in the gym. It was great.
But later that evening, after much rest and hydration, I was still feeling the effects of the night before. Had to do my run, though, so I headed over to the 24 hour fitness center in our clubhouse to hit the treadmills, since there is no way I would run by myself in Dallas after dark (only thing I miss about Denton - well, that and my hottie). I get to the gym, enter the key pad code, and... the door won't open. I call maintenance. They can't help. Neither can the on call office person. Talk about frustrating! I almost threw caution to the wind and hit the trail by myself, but I knew it was just too stupid of an idea. One run isn't worth that kind of risk. But the long and short of it was, I didn't get to run.
So, with such a crazy weekend, I'm dragging just a little bit today. Not much time to waste, though, because with race season officially in gear again, there is lots to be done here. This is going to be a HUGE year for Playtri - and we have to get ready!
And, I have to get pumped for the 2nd Annual Playtri Lonestar Triathlon Camp THIS WEEKEND in Galveston, TX! Expect to hear all about it very, very soon...
Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment