Friday, February 11, 2011

Inspired

Who doesn't want to make history? All of us want to leave our mark on society, in one way or another. And recently, the youth and young adult population of Egypt did just that. They forced a president who was, in reality, a dictator out of his office through sheer force of will and perseverance.

Wow.

I mean, that is HUGE. A call to action on Facebook of all places was all it took to ignite the democratic spirit of an entire population into a flame that literally consumed large cities all over the country. Now that's what I call spirit. Watching the protests in Tahrir Square has been an inspiring experience for me. These are people who know what they want, and are willing to give all of their time and resources to get it. When was the last time I wanted something that badly? Have I ever wanted anything that badly?

I always say that I am passionate about triathlon, but my passion seems so feeble in the face of these people. My complaints about not having time for a two hour workout, or being too lazy to log my nutrition, or not bothering to wear my heart rate monitor - these definitely are not signs of passion.

But the good thing about spirit and passion? They are 100% contagious, and the passion of the Egyptian country has inspired me, and reignited my passion for the thing that is first and foremost in my life - the triathlon lifestyle. It might only last a week, but at least I know now that all I need to get a shot of inspiration is to be around people who are passionate themselves. And I am fortunate to know a lot of people like that! So even when work and training and racing and family and volunteer work start to seem like a burden, I know I can turn to my friends and aquaintances for encouragement and inspiration. What an awesome feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment