Wednesday, February 23, 2011

THE Erin Baker

First, sorry for the long gap between posts... The past two weeks have been insanely busy, with the first Playtri race of the year, and the Austin Half Marathon this past weekend. I'm just now getting caught up on sleep, and back to training. For my results at the Austin 5K, check Facebook or www.youraustinmarathon.com. It was a difficult course with lots of hills, but I was reasonably pleased with my results.

A very cool surprise awaited me at work this morning. You never know who you'll run into here. Pro triathletes, USAT officials, famous coaches - and this morning, who should I meet in the kitchen but Erin Baker herself? I eat her granola almost every day, and there she is making coffee with our Keurig. So we get to talking. no surprise, about nutrition, which is something I struggle with a lot. Yep - I'm a coach and I've got all the info, but it's still hard for me to maintain the level of nutrition necessary for the level of competition that I want to be at. I always go for what is easy and fast, and usually for what I'm craving - which is rarely healthy. Most people would see my diet at a glance, and think that it's reasonably healthy, but if they saw the raw numbers that pop up when I log everything, they would be shocked at the high percentage of fat that I take in every day.

Anyways, Erin shared with me her story of two years ago when she decided to revolutionize her diet with a very simple method - requiring herself to eat a minimum amount of fruits and vegetables a day. That's it. She didn't require herself to cut back on anything, or stop eating things she liked - just to eat a certain amount of fruits and veggies every 24 hours. And she said that when she did that, the other stuff cut itself back, because she wasn't as hungry, and she stopped craving it. Could it really be that easy?? I don't know, but I aim to find out! Less fat, more carbs, here I come...

Ladies, you can hear from this nutritional inspiration as well - she'll be speaking at the CK Sports Ladies Night TONIGHT at CK Sports in McKinney at 6:30 PM! RSVP at 214-383-0088 and come find out how to get your nutrition on track.

Happy Wednesday everybody - the week is halfway through!

No comments:

Post a Comment