Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Qualified Before the Qualifier...

This first post is coming about 5 days sooner than expected. You see, the USA qualifier for the 2011 ITU Sprint World Championship (the 2010 USAT Sprint National Championship) isn't until this Sunday. However, due to an unexpected turn of events, it seems that all I have to do to qualify at this point is 1) show up and 2) finish the race. For whatever reason, women ages 25-29 decided they weren't really interested in this event, and only 14 registered, and since there are 18 qualifying spots for Beijing in each age group... well... you do the math. Oh, and registration is closed.

So, here I am, realizing a bit prematurely that I'll be taking a little trip to the far east next year. It's exciting, but also a bit terrifying. I think I'd feel better if I were actually having to win the spot, because I'd feel more like I earned my way - then I'd know I was good enough to be racing at that level. As it is...

But anyways, I'm going to do my very best to prepare to kick butt over in Beijing, starting with the Championship this weekend. If I don't podium, I better know the reason why - since I've already qualified, this is the only real "win" available, and it's always nice to win. As long as my bike doesn't have a bad day (as it did at the Avia Austin Tri) and I don't let my head get in the way, I think I might just have an exceptionally good race. According to my sports psychologist/counselor (her name is Karen and she works with the acrobatic and combat sports at the OTC - you will probably read a lot about her here), I just have to focus on my plan for the race, and stop stressing about the fact that my house is a disaster and I have 200 unread messages in my inbox. Because those things really aren't important - right? I'm also supposed to go in planning to win (see above), because that's what winners do. And I want to be a winner. Yay.

However, first, I have two more days of work and one looooong drive to Tuscaloosa. So I'm off to pick up t-shirts and stuff packets for the Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon this weekend, and then on to the monthly Playtri coaches meeting, where Ahmed will bestow his infinite wisdom upon us. And remind us to pass out more flyers.

So, here's to the beginning of a what will hopefully be an exceptionally good year of training, racing, and showing the world (literally) just what I can do...

1 comment:

  1. Morgan you're going to have a great race, I just know it!! I'm sure you'll hear me cheering for ya in McKinney :-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete