Tuesday, March 15, 2011

If the Bike Fits...

Working at Playtri always seems to lead to interesting research opportunities, and today's is advanced bike fit methodology. Of course, we are always trying to improve our services and stay in the front of the pack in available research and methodology, so many days find me doing groundwork that will lead to more in-depth research on Ahmed's part. So today, I am learning the best way to fit a bike.

And I mean WOW. I knew bike fitting was complicated, but I really never appreciated the amount of technology and gadgetry available in the quest to find the "perfect fit." Bike fitting, like coaching, is a combination of science and art - even if you have the right science, you also have to have the right fitter. A good system alone is only part of the puzzle. In the past, most of my bike fits have been what is now considered to be "basic." (Note that the fits I refer to are the ones that did NOT take place with Playtri). This means someone put me on a trainer, watched me pedal, and made some adjustments. After what I've read today, this now seems woefully inadequate.

All this reminds me again of the complexity of the perfect race. As the World Championship is drawing nearer, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of puzzle pieces that will all have to come together perfectly and at the right time for me to have the race I need to end up on or even near the podium - nutrition, swimming, biking, running, bike fit, running shoes, sleep, goggles, heart rate, power, bike, flexibility, balance, Vo2 max, lactate threshold, muscle recovery, mental toughness... the list just goes on! And it is interesting how this list is much less intimidating to me when I am applying it to one of the athletes that I coach. It is so much better when I can be objective (which is why I have my own coach, because I clearly can't be objective with myself!). However, I am always grateful to experience these thoughts and emotions, because they make me better able to understand the athletes I coach.

All this being said, I recall that I have yet to schedule a bike fit with Ahmed for my new bike... I think that's going in the budget for next month!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment