Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Work Shoes are Adidas

I just wrapped up my 4th Playtri camp as assistant camp director - the Iron Texas Camp in The Woodlands, TX, on the Ironman Texas course. It was my first time to officially work a brand new camp, and it was definitely an experience. The thing about a new camp is that, no matter how much recon is done ahead of time, you never know how the course is going to treat your group of athletes until you get there. It was a fresh challenge every day, addressing the aspects of the event that weren't under our control. It was exciting, and great working experience. And, most importantly, it was a great training experience for the athletes. I think everyone left feeling good about the event, and excited for the next one (though also ready for a good rest).


As usual, I was in charge of all SAG/support for the event, so I got to know all parts of the course extremely well. It was a true taste of Texas - we passed through Montgomery (Birthplace of the Texas flag) and stopped at Jorge's Roadhouse out on 149 for 1/2 pound cheeseburgers. We also went by the Sunshine Store, advertising soaps, lotions, and goats. We still need to look into that one. I had a barbeque sandwich in Richards, and spent time photographing bluebonnets at one of our last rest stops. The course was absolutely beautiful. I didn't expect that from somewhere so close to Houston, TX that it's practically considered part of the city, but it definitely surprised me. It winds through the Sam Houston National Forest and up towards Conroe and Huntsville, the roads are almost all completely smooth, tree-lined, and of course all the wildflowers are blooming right now.


Uh... can you say "perfect one-on-one camp location?" I can, and did. I'm getting a one-on-one camp for myself out there ASAP.


At one point, I looked down at my Adidas-clad feet, and realized that my work shoes are in fact racing flats. It might sound crazy, but I never, never thought I would be so lucky. I remember daydreaming about being a full-time triathlon coach, working for Playtri and getting to work with athletes from all over the country. There was a time when it seemed like an impossible reality - and now here I am, doing exactly what I want to do. Wearing running shorts, tech shirts, and Adidas to work. It's literally my dream job. And I'm doing it. Not to brag or anything.


Of course, the only bad thing about coming to camp to head up support is that you don't train at all during the camp - just sit a lot and still end up completely exhausted. Fortunately, I did the kayak support as well, so I got a decent workout the two days that we swam, but other than that I lost a couple of days training-wise. The coaching knowledge I gain is invaluable, though. Which of course all feeds into my own training knowledge.


I'm ready to get back on my training horse tomorrow for sure. We'll be spectating at the Ironman Texas 70.3 tomorrow after a quick run, and then I'm headed back to Dallas in the evening. Monday is a HUGE day at work, of course, with King Tut coming up next weekend. It will be a 12+ hour day, so I'll just be lucky to get a 30 minute run in somewhere. Hopefully I'll get more in the rest of the week, however. And then of course I'll be racing the King Tut on Sunday with Mandy Mandy, so that will be a great workout!


I hope everyone has a great weekend, and enjoys this wonderful, warm weather.


Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment