Monday, April 25, 2011

Can't Sleep, So I Might as Well Blog

I've had trouble sleeping the past few nights. I'm not sure where that's coming from - possibly the fact that I've actually gotten more than 8 hours a night for the past few days and my body forgot how to function outside of a state of exhaustion. Unfortunately, I'm going to pay for tonight tomorrow morning when I have to ride at 7:00 AM before I go into work! And then I'll be working until at least 8:00 tomorrow night... Oh well, I ought to sleep well tomorrow.

Training is going well - since King Tut, I've had some really solid workouts, despite some pain in my foot since the 5K PR (it's almost gone now, we think I bruised the foot earlier in the week, and the race aggravated it). My running is truly back to what it was in 2008 when I was competitive in the mid-distances, and possibly even better than it was then. It snuck up on me, but I can't say I'm surprised, because Aaron always seems to know what is best for me. That's why I pay him the big bucks. So anyways, my training pace runs now average about 8:00 minutes a mile, which is about 2:00 minutes a mile faster than they were averaging in January after Ken and I got back from Europe. It's silly, but I love going out to run around White Rock, and passing all the boys without even breaking a sweat. What can I say - I'm a competitive person. I like being the fastest. Which brings me to my swim, which has always been a source of problems in the past, but which has finally started to come together in the last year or so. Last Friday at DAM, I actually had someone ask me if I swam competitively in college - of course, I laughed out loud, but I was still really flattered. They also had me move up a lane FINALLY! Even I was amazed at the intervals I was maintaining at that workout. It felt amazing, and left me more excited than I've been about swimming since last fall.

Of course, with summer rapidly approaching, race season is in full-swing at Playtri and we are all racing around (no pun intended) trying to stay on top of the many events we are producing this season. I am constantly amazed at Staci's ability to stay organized with everything going on - and also inspired to be more organized myself, something that I have always struggled with. But even with the best organization, there is a lot to do right now, and some days seem never-ending, which makes training less appealing than usual - days like yesterday, Easter Sunday, when I actually don't have to go into work or drive to a practice or clinic are so exciting for me now. To have all day to sit around, write schedules, get in all of my workouts, eat well, and rest is like the ultimate luxury. Granted I had to get right back in the swing of things today, but I did manage to fit a nap in post-work/pre-training. Always a major accomplishment these days!

The McKinney Kiwanis Sprint Triathlon and Kids Tri are this weekend, which will mean being in McKinney by 5:00 AM Saturday AND Sunday - worth it because it's all part of having the best job in the world, but still a struggle to be up that early on the weekend!! Additionally, my mom and Ken are coming up this weekend for my BIRTHDAY (yep, I'm getting older in a week), so I want to make lots of time to spend with them as well. Ken's birthday is coming up, too, but not as soon as mine. So it will be busy times, but good times. You can sleep when you're dead, right? That's what I hear anyways. Sometimes I think that would be a better title for this blog...

But all is well in my world and in the Playtri world and I am looking forward to another crazy-but-awesome week of training, working, and racing with the best group of triathletes I know.

Happy training everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment