Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A One-Man Tent Built for Two...

So the tent wasn't actually built for two... it was definitely built for one. But we still fit!

Ken and Jake and I went camping this past weekend (Ken was amazed I hadn't already blogged about it by Sunday night) at the Chickasaw National Park in Oklahoma (Ken's choice - it was beautiful). We've been talking about going camping pretty much ever since we met, but this was the first weekend we didn't have anything else going on - not to mention that the weather was absolutely perfect.

I told Aaron about the trip ahead of time so we worked it out where I had short running workouts on Saturday and Sunday so I could get them in before/after the trip. We left after my run and a quick Wal-Mart trip (and Starbucks) on Saturday morning, and drove the two hours to Sulphur, Texas where the park is. If you've never been to this park (I hadn't), you need to put it on your list of places to visit - it is incredible and the trails are very well maintained, and not crowded at all. We got a great camping spot right up against some woods, and after we set up the tent (with lots of help from Jake, until we shortened his leash), we hit the trails. It was a beautiful hike, and Jake was so ecstatic I think he about ripped Ken's arm off a few times. That part was more fun for me than for Ken. We saw some incredible views, and a few of the natural springs that Sulphur is (apparently) known for. And yes, they smell like sulphur. They looked much prettier than they smelled. Supposedly we were supposed to be able to see bison as well, but I guess they were in hiding. Still, it was a great hike - we stayed out for about 2 1/2 hours, then headed back to the campsite for dinner.

We actually gathered wood for our fire, and Ken built a great fire for us, and I cooked some cheeseburgers (again, Jake really wanted to help, but was denied that privilege - however, he did get his own burger). We sat by the fire (in the awesome REI chairs Ken got for us) as the sun went down and the stars came out, and listened to Bob Marley and Stevie Ray Vaughn and watched Jake slowly pass out from all the excitement and activity of the day. The only thing missing was the marshmallows - we won't forget those next time... and I considered stealing some from the boy scouts a few sites over but it just felt too wrong. Though I'm sure they had like 30 bags. Anyways. It was a completely relaxing evening, and by the time we were ready to hit the tent, I could have fallen asleep standing up. It was nice.

Things got a little chilly in the tent when I "Bogarted" (Ken's term) the sleeping bag we were sharing in the middle of the night, but Ken went out into the cold to get my sleeping bag so we could both zip up, and things were much better after that. We're still not positive if Jake got any sleep - I think he spent the whole night standing guard. He is surprisingly territorial.

In the morning I cooked breakfast over the fire (and the propane stove), which we enjoyed with ice cold cans of Coke since I forgot the Nalgene coffee maker (as Ken reminded me no less than 20 times during the course of the trip). Jake also got his first taste of bacon, and I think he's hooked. We hit the Sulphur McDonald's for coffee, and then headed to the other hiking trails. We did about a two hour hike on Sunday - it was in a much more open area than the previous day's hike, but there were some beautiful views. Jake was definitely a little worn out, which made life easier for Ken since he wasn't trying to drag him all over the place.

Then we headed home - Ken drove, Jake and I slept - until Ken woke me up for Dr. Pepper and gummi bears. It was basically heaven.

Sunday night was the Playtri coaches/coordinators dinner at Ahmed and Staci's house where we had mediterranean food and I tried to get Ken to get a Playtri tri top for the Bronda's Du on Sunday - he said he isn't wearing anything that tight unless he's swimming or cycling, and since we are relaying the race and he's doing the run, we went with a tech shirt and a visor. At least he's still representing!

Last night I bought my plane ticket for Germany... so that trip is really happening! Now we get to plan our itinerary and hotels and everything else. We're going to be in Garmisch, Germany for Christmas, and I am so excited. This trip is going to be such a great adventure.

Now I just have to get through work today, then I have a bike ride and UNT's swim practice.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. seriously...you're living the life girlie :-) and yes I would share my tent with George...it's all about strategery...is that how you spell it? :-)

    ReplyDelete