Monday, June 20, 2011

The Heat is On...

No, for real, it is HOT outside.

Ok, so I've started seeing this new guy, Buck, and, well, he's amazing. So amazing that even though running isn't really his favorite thing, he still went running with me last week at 5:00 PM, the hottest hour of the day, and didn't even complain about the fact that he was at a total disadvantage, being a man and having body hair while I'm a girl and I... don't. Once I brought it up, of course, he totally agreed - but still. He's a trooper. And I really like him, so if you meet him, be nice.

But back to the heat - we are getting up into the 100's pretty much every day here in Dallas, and it makes training, well, interesting. The phrase "drenched in sweat" seems to be coming up a lot. See, the human body expends a lot of energy, water, and electrolytes to keep itself cool, so the more of those we lose during exercise due to external heat, the more we have to compensate - go slower, drink more water, take salt tablets, etc. And I have been losing a lot of ALL of those three things during exercise in the past couple of weeks. I have constantly had a glass of water with me as I desperately try to stay hydrated, and I am consuming ridiculous amounts of fluid while training outside (and eating ridiculous amounts of icy watermelon after every workout - yum). I'm also ending up with some ridiculous tan lines.

The scary part is... it's not even July yet! It's only June and the temperature is getting up to 102 - what does this bode for the rest of the summer? Am I going to shrivel up due to heat before I even make it to Beijing? Ok, I know, it's melodramatic but geez - just 4 months ago it was like 14 degrees outside and now it's 102!! Come on north Texas, make up your mind! And while you're at it, let's tone down the wind a little bit as well...

In other news, my Team USA sizing kit has shipped and should be at my door today or tomorrow (please let it be there today! pleeeease!), and my mom is following up on our lodging arrangements for the trip. We thought we were all booked and ready to go, buuut... they never charged our card, which is worrisome. So we're looking into that. Better safe than sorry. Tonight, Buck is taking me to the Rangers-Astros game (it's Nelson Cruz bobble-head night! sweet!), and tomorrow I've got work, swimming, coaching... the usual.

Stroke work tomorrow at DAM - everyone make sure to get a ringside seat to watch me attempt the butterfly : )

Happy training everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment